Summer is a time of long sunny days and more time spent outdoors. As we have all been reminded this year by the early Northern BC and Fort McMurray fires, it is crucial to maintain proper safety standards and prevent fires.
Here’s some tips to help fireproof your home and property:
- clean & clear brush around the house
- plant deciduous trees closer to the house than conifers (they are less flammable)
- keep plants and grass well watered during peak fire season
- make sure all barbeques, campfires, candles, and cigarettes are properly out before you dispose of them
- keep a small emergency kit handy in case you need to be evacuated
- report any wildfires or smoke you see (in BC call: 1 800 663-5555 or *5555 from your cell)
For more tips, click here to get a downloadable PDF from BC Wildfire Prevention.
Have you ever been close to a wildfire?